Did you know certain foods naturally cleanse your teeth as you eat them?
According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, eating the right food also has a positive effect on overall dental health.
Here is a list of some of the best foods to keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy:
- Basil is a natural antibiotic which helps reduces bacteria in the mouth.
- Broccoli forms an acid-resistant film on teeth that can help prevent enamel erosion.
- Carrots are full of Vitamin A which is necessary for the formation of tooth enamel. They also cleanse and stimulate your gums.
- Cheese offers the benefit of lactic acid to help prevent tooth decay.
- Celery activates saliva production which helps cleanse food particles from the teeth and dilutes sugars in the mouth.
- Ginger is an anti-inflammatory to support healthy mouth tissue.
- Green tea contains an antioxidant which reduces bacteria growth that causes gingivitis.
- Kale or chard is high in minerals that support tooth structure.
- Kiwi has more Vitamin C than any other fruit. A lack of Vitamin C can break down the collagen network in your gums, making them tender and susceptible to bacteria and gum disease.
- Lemons act as a natural whitener and helps with pH balance in the body.
- Onions contain sulphur compounds and reduce bacteria that cause tooth decay.
- Pineapple helps you produce extra saliva helps fight bacteria. It also contains
- Vitamin C.
- Quinoa is a super grain with lots of minerals to help strengthen teeth.
- Salmon is a great source of Vitamin D, which makes it easier for teeth to get the full power of calcium from foods you are eating.
- Sea salt offers a blend of minerals needed to mineralize and strengthen teeth.
- Sesame seeds help reduce plaque and provide a necessary mineral for teeth.
- Shiitaki mushrooms contain a sugar which prevents mouth bacteria from growing.
- Stevia is a natural sweetener that does not have an acid effect on you teeth like sugar.
- Strawberries are high in fiber and Vitamin C which is great for gum health.
- Wasabi, which is a Japanese version of horseradish, contains compounds to prevent bacteria growth.
- Zylitol is a sugar substitute that studies show prevents tooth decay.